Friday 8 April 2011

Evaluation: How effective is the combination of the main product and ancillary texts?

The relationship between my ancillary texts and my main text (music video) are very important. I produced a Digipak and a magazine Digipak advert to accompany my music video. 


They are all very important and need to be linked/associated with each other because at the end of the day all of the products are a marketing technique so that the products are bought and the media companies make money. They need to be associated with each other so the audience can make the link and recognize the album when they see the advert or the Digipak - the three products all work together to promote the artist.


Baring all of that in mind, I decided the main theme that would be continued through my video, advert and Digipak was the idea of explosions and fireworks and the same outfit that was worn in the chorus scenes would be the same outfit used for my Digipak and advert. 


I chose to link my three products with the theme of explosions because the Digipak and the Song title is 'Grenade' - which is an explosive. I thought that it was a clever idea and I thought it was unique and would be easy to incorporate into the ancillary texts. I have to admit, that the explosions you see in the music video are not the same explosives you see on the advert or Digipak but you can still make the connection.


Digipak: The same explosion image is used in four panels out of six. There are different images of Hannah posing over the top of the images. Hannah is wearing the same black dress with the same make-up and hair for these photos as she is in the music video. This establishes a link between the video and the Digipak.


Magazine Digipak Advert: The background image for the magazine advert is the same image as the four panels in the Digipak (explosions). I have also used an image of Hannah which is used in the Digipak on panel #2 - by using the same images, it makes the link between all three products clearer to the audience. I have not used the same font for the magazine advert because I didn't think the font for the Digipak looked right on a larger advert scale. The advert includes a preview of the Digipak, with the front cover so again this markets the album and establishs a relationship between the products.

No comments:

Post a Comment